Smoky Hill Museum – Art (and History for all
Originally designated as a federal post office in 1938, this Art Deco structure housed the post office in Salina for many years. In 1985, it became home to the local museum, which was newly acquired by the City of Salina. The collections were moved from the former bathhouse in Oakdale Park to this location. The Smoky Hill Museum opened its doors to the public as a free museum in October of 1986.
“Land” and “Communication” greet visitors climbing the steps of the Smoky Hill Museum. Commissioned as a Section Project to adorn the post office building, these figures are carved from the same Indiana limestone used for the building. Designed by Carl C. Mose and executed on site by his assistant Jon Jonson in 1940, the sculptures represent the pioneer spirit. Allegorically, the man, “Land,” symbolizes agriculture. The woman and child, “Communication,” symbolize the relationship of the family and the community to federal services. Based on these sculptures, the building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on July 18, 1989.
Visit the Smoky Hill Museum website for more information about the Museum, including hours, events, and exhibits.
Next stop: Proceed east across Seventh St. to the United Life Building.